Saturday, October 16, 2010

Par un avion


Flying first class was awesome - my cheapskate husband even turned to me and said "wow, this is totally worth the extra cost". Of course, since the trip was paid for with Marriott points we didn't have to actually pay the thousands of dollars between coach and first class. We settled in to watch the 4th Harry Potter movie because my goal was to go to sleep immediately after dinner.

For dinner we started with appetizers of shrimp cocktail and a stick with tomato, mozzarella, kalamata olives, and zucchini. Then we had a salad with hearts of palm and balsamic vinaigrette. The main course was filet in a red wine sauce with asparagus and mashed potatoes. Dessert was a trio of petit fours. It was not exactly gourmet but it really didn't feel like a plane at all.

Then the chairs reclined all the way back so we could lay down and get some good sleep. Ryan took advantage of the free eye shade and the seat was large enough for me to turn and sleep on my side. My liberal consumption of water and wine conspired to wake me in the middle of our approximate 3 hour nap - I hate the bladder sometimes! Sleep was peaceful but brief because then they had to have time to serve us our elaborate breakfast of fruit, scrambled eggs, potatoes, and a provencal tomato. Immigration and customs went well - no problems with Ryan's close-to-expiring passport. We then rode the Roissy bus to l'Opera and walked to the gare St.Lazare (train station) to catch our train to Bayeux. I think Ryan was actually a little shocked that I could speak with people to get directions. The funny thing is that the guy spoke English and we totally did a little of each so it wasn't hard at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment