Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Mas Laurent



Making up for our trials on the trains is the perfection of Provence. Our chambres d'hotes (bed and breakfast) Mas Laurent is amazing. Our hosts, Deborah and Tim are a great Aussie couple with two dogs (a Schnauzer named Kaiser and a mostly dachshund named Bella). It is set in a picturesque area just west of the town of Uzes (pronounced Ooh-zays like "says" but with a "z"). We are on the ground floor with a private bath and the Mas is a 17th century farmhouse with stone walls that are like a foot thick. There is one very low ceiling that Ryan has hit his head on at least twice.

Here is our cute little car which we finally picked up on Wednesday afternoon. It is called a Fiat "Panda" and Ryan is proclaiming that our next car needs to be a stick. Mind you that this is at the same time he is telling me that I either have to shift for him or hold the GPS because he can't do both...








Here is our lovely room at Mas Laurent. It has lots of charm and unfortunately quite a bit of wildlife of the insect variety. I think we offed the spiders on the first night - one was actually killed while crawling across the bed. Now we have an assortment of crickets and flies. The crickets don't actually bother me but I'm not sure that I want any in my suitcase as a tag along.








Here is our room from the outside. We only have the large door on the bottom (which is I'm sure the cause of all the crickets) and the window belongs to a room above us but I hope you an see how charming it is. The whole mas is comprised of two buildings around a courtyard. Our building has the bedrooms, a common room, the host's family room and the large dining room and kitchen. across the courtyard is a gite (a self sufficient unit for rent with a kitchen and all) and an artist studio (or atelier). There is a pool (too cold now) and lovely land with two ponds. We parked our car and noticed that we were parked under an olive tree!







As proof of the charm of this place here is the key to the closet in our room - I feel like I've gone back in time...

We need to head off for our adventures today. I hope to be able to blog about our adventures in Uzes and Nimes (those occured yesterday) when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment