Friday, March 4, 2011

Seaworld

Here is a little video to start our day...





When we first arrived at the park it was a little deserted. We came armed with a plan like we do at Disney (although generated by yours truly) and were a little underwhelmed. Many things didn't open right away. We did find the opportunity to get up close and personal with some sea lions and even got to feed them. Drew's accuracy rewarded the birds though...





The first show that we saw was Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island. It was a really cute show starring some zany humans, two sea lions, an otter and a huge walrus. Drew really enjoyed it and there were some mistakes that made it all the more charming...



The second show that we saw was called Pets Ahoy and it was a really cute show of dogs, cats, pigs, birds, and rats - all rescued from shelters (well maybe not the rat). The animals did amazing things and the kids really had a good time. It was an indoors show and we didn't get any pictures...

Getting ready to feed the sharks...





We got to explore the manatee area just before the next show...





Drew is already asking to go back to the hotel but we promise her just one more show and then we can go to Shamu's Happy Harbor kids area. The Blue Horizons show was the best one of the day. It was a dramatic tale with a beautiful girl, bad guys, acrobatics and diving, dolphins, birds, and a false killer whale - the big black guy you see in the photo below...







Much to Drew's happiness we wandered over to Shamu's Happy Harbor - the area with kiddie rides such as Jazzy Jellies, Ocean Commotion, and Swishy Fishies - rides just her size. She enjoyed riding them and wouldn't even venture on the tame kiddie roller coaster, Shamu Express. There was this enormous climbing and slide structure in the center and we let the kids go at it. Drew had taken off her bracelet that has our phone number on it because it was bothering her and we didn't give them very detailed instructions but sent them up and waited at the bottom for her. Ryan wandered off to get adult beverages and I tried to keep an eye on the kids. About every 5-7 minutes I would get in a panic because I couldn't find them and then I would spot one and relax a little and look for the other. A little bit after Ryan got back with the beer, I realized that the 4 year old girl who I thought was Drew on the right side of the structure was in fact not Drew and that I hadn't really seen her for a good bit. Trevor came down and I asked him if he had seen her and sent him up to look for her to no avail. So, since I am smaller and more agile than Ryan, I went up to find her. Huge structure of nets and tunnels and I'm wearing sandals and a top that allows you to see all the way to my belly button when I'm on my hands and knees - sorry everyone. I went all the way up and all the way to the other side and no sign of Drew and now it is raining. Frantic call to Ryan while I wonder if I'll ever see baby girl again (and remembering that I jokingly told her earlier in the day that she needed to stay close to us so that we didn't lose her because I had invested a lot of time and energy into her for the last 4 years). I stayed on top, afraid to come down, and finally Ryan called me to say that he had found her looking for us over by a ride. She had a found an adult to help her look for her Daddy in the orange shirt and she was pretty distraught. She was scared we would be mad but I was so happy she wasn't being sodomized in some bathroom somewhere I was beside myself. I think she may need therapy after this trip...






Riding the carousel - Drew is on one of those hideous Anglerfish that live deep in the ocean and have a protruding light off their forehead that you saw in Finding Nemo...



Waiting to see Shamu with souvenirs and snack - yes those are hot pretzels shaped like Orca whales and Ryan is drinking a $6 aluminum bottle of Bud Light Lime...




Our last show of the day was "Believe" at Shamu theater. We almost decided to skip it because people had remarked all day that the Orca show just wasn't the same since the tragedy that happened here last February when the trainer was killed. However, I felt you couldn't really see Seaworld unless you saw Shamu. It was a decent show and there was even a baby who was born in October that played around a bit.








For dinner we ate at Shark's Underwater Grill which is a restaurant in a tank. They say to show up at 1000 am to make reservations, which we did, but I think the restaurant is losing its popularity. We had very expensive, ordinary food but it was fun.



Seaworld was a little disappointing for the grown ups after all that Disney has to offer. They give you a second day free with admission and we had toyed with the idea of coming back here on Sunday but I don't think we will. We saw all but one of the shows and some of the other exhibits are on par with what you see at St. Louis Zoo - stingrays and penguins and such. The kids enjoyed themselves and we made it home in time for 800 bedtime. Tomorrow is Magic Kingdom and Drew is getting her hair curled and wearing make-up for her special princess day. The park opens at 800am so we have an early morning ahead of us. We've never done Magic Kingdom in one day so wish us luck! No idea what is on tap for Sunday but we'll figure it out...

Here is a closing video...



No comments:

Post a Comment